JADE HOME is a home for children with special needs established in 1996 by Mr. Emmanuel Delaplace, a French Special Educator. The Home started its operation within Makati areas renting houses. In 2006, the Home transferred in its own facility located at Dasmarinas, Cavite. In May 2008, another house was built, the Jade Home 2 wherein ten male young adults capable of semi-independent life are staying. During the day, they go to Jade Home 1 to do their individual tasks in various areas such as education, vocational skills training among others.
At present, there are thirty (30) children and fourteen (14) staff members. The biological age of the children ranges from 15-32 years old and the mental age is 0-12. The conditions or profiles of the children are autism (11), mental retardation (18) of which 2 have down syndrome and 1 with cerebral palsy; 1 male has Psychotic Disorder & Antisocial Personality Disorder.. Autism and mental retardation range from mild, moderate, severe to profound.
Out of 30 children, 6 have seizure disorders hence regular consultations are done and medicines are maintained; 23 children take psychiatric medications under the prescription and advice of the psychiatrist. The medications help improve the daily functioning of the children and young adults with autism and with symptoms of severe aggression, anxiety, depression and psychosis.
It is important to keep the structure and routine of children’s activities and even the caregivers or staff. Any changes in structure, routines and people must be informed to the children ahead of time to avoid creating anxiety and difficulty in behaviors among them.
Services and activities in the Home focus on the holistic development of the children to facilitate utmost use of their talent and capabilities. The developmental and therapeutic services are:
- Special Education: Individualized Educational Program or IEP; prevocational and vocational training such as beads work, candle making, laundry and gardening
- Activities of Daily Living
- Social skills to facilitate community and work integration e.g. recreational activities such as movie watching, swimming, basketball among others; purchasing and ordering food in restaurants (fast food)
- Occupational Therapy to improve social skills
- Psychological assessment
- Psychiatric consultations and counseling; medications
- Behavior Management and Discipline
- Organization of activities adapted for children and young adults with special needs
- Maintaining a good relationship and communication with the JADE staff
- Improve the situation of the beneficiaries by using special tools
- In-charge of several activities of the residents such as:
- Swimming activity once a week for selected children
- Outdoor walking exercises for selected children
- Assist children in table setting and segregation of utensils
- Assist in facilitating group activities in life skills for level 2 residents
- Ensure safety of the children during activity period.
- Check children’s schedule and ensure they are in their respective activities especially those loitering.