Aime is the French word for “Love”. Aime Home was established in June 2006 to accommodate children with special needs especially those neglected and abandoned.
At present, there are twenty-five (25) children and eleven (11) staff members. The biological age of the children ranges from 12-32 years old and the mental age is 2-10. The children have a wide range of disabilities such autism (4) and mental retardation (24) of which one has the down syndrome and one is deaf and mute. Most of them have learning disabilities and speech or language impairment. Autism and mental retardation range from mild, moderate to severe. Some children know basic sign language.
Out of 25 children, 5 have seizure disorders hence regular consultations are done and medicines are maintained; 8 children take psychiatric medications under the prescription and advice of the psychiatrist. The medications help improve the daily functioning of the children and young adults with autism and with symptoms of severe aggression, anxiety, depression and psychosis.
It is important to keep the structure and routine of children’s activities and even the caregivers or staff. Any changes in structure, routines and people must be informed to the children ahead of time to avoid creating anxiety and difficulty in behaviours among them.
Services and activities in the Home focus on the holistic development of the children to facilitate utmost use of their talents and capabilities. The developmental and therapeutic services are:
- Special Education: Individualized Educational Program or IEP; vocational training such as embroidery, gardening, cooking, selling
- Social skills to facilitate community and work integration e.g. recreational activities and selling
- Psychological assessment
- Psychiatric consultations and counselling; medications
- Medical and neurological consultations, laboratory tests and medicines
- Behaviour Management and Discipline
The volunteer works together with the local team to ensure growth and promotion of the children to become as independent as possible in all areas of their lives and enhance their self-esteem and sense of accomplishment. Aime Home cares for roughly 40 % children under Level 1 category.
- Animate indoor recreational activities with children.
- Prepares a weekly schedule of activities with the local team.
- Prepares and implements individualized activities for each identified child
- Organizes outdoor activities like swimming, walking, sports and recreations which are aligned to the current general schedule