blueEnergy is an international nonprofit organization that works to break the cycle of poverty to create a world of sustainable living and opportunity for all. The organization does this by creating opportunities for sustainable development in severely marginalized communities and by developing leaders working internationally for a more equitable, sustainable world.
blueEnergy creates impact in Nicaragua, both locally and nationally, as well as internationally. At the local level, blueEnergy delivers renewable energy, clean water, and other key services to marginalized communities on Nicaragua’s Caribbean Coast utilizing a holistic approach to community development and capacity building. At the national level, blueEnergy is facilitating and strengthening a network of renewable energy service providers to expand access to sustainable energy across Nicaragua. At the international level, blueEnergy is playing a lead role in the creation of a network of organizations working with locally produced, small wind turbines for rural electrification.
blueEnergy’s project headquarters are located in Bluefields, Nicaragua. There, the organization recruits a diverse, multi-cultural team of international volunteers and local and international staff. This unique organizational structure amplifies blueEnergy’s impact and provides the volunteers themselves with a transformative experience to help them reach their global leadership potential.
The blueEnergy Group is made up of blueEnergy International, blueEnergy US, blueEnergy France, and blueEnergy Nicaragua. More information is available on our website at www.blueEnergyGroup.org and in our online newsletter, the blueNews.
Description of position:
blueEnergy is looking for talented, committed individuals to join our diverse, dynamic organization, and can offer many opportunities for meaningful personal and professional growth.
Currently blueEnergy is seeking a mature, culturally sensitive, pro-active individual with strong motivation to work in the energy program team in Bluefields, Nicaragua. As blueEnergy’s Nicaragua Renewable Energy Technical coordinator Volunteer, you will work within the renewable energy team in cooperation with the Renewable Energy Program Coordinator. This team is currently made of a manager and 5 technicians (locals & foreigners), each one works on specific projects. The projects are primarily solar energy (rural & microgrids), biodigesters, and improved cookstoves.
In the 2017/2018 time period the Technical coordinator Volunteer will be in charge of supervising each project, including the technical design and implementation of a rural micro-grid, design and install solar systems for farms, homes and businesses, participate in the eco-stove deployment, be involved in biodigester monitoring and maintenance, document energy related research and activities, help train local technicians, support the execution of energy related project activities, as well as collaborate in the development of new project profiles and their corresponding budgets. Candidates must have exceptional teamwork skills and emotional intelligence, and be able to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Coordinate & act as advisor to all technical aspects and project development of the energy team staff and international collaborators.
- Review all technical design & work produced by the energy team technicians and provide assistance to the planning and decision making on technical aspects.
- Work closely with the local manager and upper management for decision making, funds monitoring, and project concepts.
- Assist co-workers logistical aspects of a new installation (purchases, planning, procurement of materials and budgeting)
- Create community training materials and execute trainings on the different renewable energy technologies.
- Within each assigned project, execute system conception, purchasing, logistics, preparation, construction and installation (including repair and maintenance of some of these systems) following the guidelines, processes, formats and policies established by blueEnergy.
- Contribute to the research and development of new appropriate technologies for the energy program of blueEnergy (researching best adapted technologies for our beneficiaries and their socio-economic context, conducting diversified studies, building and studying prototypes).
- Work with the Renewable Energy Program Technicians to improve the technologies already in use as well as their implementation.
- Document the work of the renewable energy team in blueEnergy with reports and other media using blueEnergy templates.
- Strengthen the capacity of the renewable energy team through the creation of internal materials, manuals and databases.
- Participate in the creation of project profiles and budgets to be submitted to potential funders.
- Manage relationships between the blueEnergy offices in France, USA and the Energy team in Nicaragua.
- Work with local staff and partners to train them in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Communicate with energy partners (universities and other organizations) to share experiences and learn about alternative technologies and techniques.
- Participate to webinars in order to learn about renewable energy updates and create new relationships with international actors