Since January 2014, GERES is implementing an EU Switch Asia-funded project in Myanmar, the “Strengthening improved Cookstove Access towards a better quality of Life and Environment (SCALE)” project, in partnership with Ever Green Group (EGG), a local social enterprise specializing in energy solutions.
The Field Operations Officer (FOO) will work under the supervision of the SCALE Project Manager / GERES Myanmar Country Representative for daily management and administration of the SCALE project, and will receive technical inputs from the StovePlus Senior Technical lead for its operationalization.
He/she will ensure the proper and efficient implementation of all the technical field-related activities within the SCALE program. She/he will also contribute to the development of GERES technical operations in Myanmar by providing technical expertise on specific topics when needed.
► Support the implementation of the SCALE project in Myanmar
The SCALE project aims at supporting the large scale dissemination of standardized locally-manufactured Improved Cookstoves (ICS) in Myanmar, to structure the ICS value chain, to enhance the market demand and to support the creation of an enabling regulatory and policy framework to contribute to the long term development of the ICS sector in Myanmar.
Under the authority of the SCALE project manager and the technical lead of the StovePlus Senior Technical Advisor, the Field Operations Officer (FOO) is responsible to oversee the smooth implementation of field activities undertaken by the project team. In support to the Project Manager, the FOO will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the smooth implementation of the workplan and the instructions delivered by the StovePlus Technical Advisor
- Provide technical on-field support to the local team on activities implementation, troubleshooting and reporting
- Assist the field team in the execution of the budget allocated to field activities
- Monitor achievements of field activities, check quality, take corrective actions when needed, ensure deadlines are met and results are achieved following the plan.
Some of the main field activities of the SCALE projects include, but are not limited to:
- Smart monitoring of the Improve Cookstove Dissemination all along the value chain
- Quality Assurance / Quality Check at the producer level for labelization
- Technical training on Improved CookStove production
- R&D activities related to domestic cookstoves including lab and/or field testing of ceramic material, device efficiency, fuel use and emission of pollutants monitoring
In addition, she/he is providing assistance to the SCALE project manager when related to the implementation of field activities:
- Regularly discuss and brainstorm with the SCALE project manager about project implementation, budget allocation and team organization, and contribute to decision making
- Regularly update the project manager on the progress of field activities
- Contribute to project reporting to donors related to field activities
- Organize and coordinate internal and external technical assistance involved in field activities
- Coordinate the valorization and dissemination of new expertise and lessons learnt from field activities
- Facilitate communication and visibility actions related to the field implementation of the project according to donor requirements
- When relevant, and upon request from the SCALE project management, represent the project towards technical and institutional partners and donors.
► Support the development of GERES’s activities in Myanmar
Provide ad-hoc support to the GERES Myanmar Country Representative in his development tasks:
- Share relevant opportunities as they come-up, such as, but not limited to partnerships, funding and project calls catalyzing the improved cookstove sector in Myanmar and added-value solutions for the local private sector
- Discuss and provide feedback on new identified opportunities in terms of new activities, improved visibility, partnerships, learning opportunities and funding towards the aforementioned goals.
- Contribute to seeking ways to replicate best practices from GERES’ experience in Cambodia to strengthen South-South collaboration and partnerships.
As the main responsibility of the Field Operations Officer is to support the field team with their daily work, this position implies to spend most of the time in the field. Therefore, although the duty station of the Field Operations Officer will be in Yangon, most of the job will take place in the SCALE project areas: Ayeyarwady, Mandalay, Magway and Sagaing divisions, and possibly in other divisions for exploration.
The FOO may also be requested to travel in other Southeast Asian countries, including Cambodia where GERES regional office is located.