The EU Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council establishing the European Voluntary Humanitarian Aid Corps – EU Aid Volunteers and related legislation create a framework for joint contributions from European volunteers to support and complement humanitarian aid in third countries. Therefore, the EU Aid Volunteers Initiative provides opportunities to European citizens and long-term residents, from a wide range of backgrounds and with a diversity of skills and professional experience, to get involved in humanitarian aid projects, support the provision of needs-based humanitarian aid in third countries and engage in volunteering opportunities.
Within this framework, the European Guild and the Ecuasol Foundation are putting together a team of 6 EU Aid Volunteers, both from junior and senior profiles. Together, they will work on a prevention and resilience project tackling the seismic and volcanic risks in the country. For that team, we are currently looking for a Junior Volunteer in Communication in Ecuador.
Under the supervision of the team coordinator volunteer (team of 6 volunteers), in cooperation with the director of the Ecuasol Foundation and The European Guild, the volunteer will be in charge of communicating on the program of awareness-raising and education about volcanic and seismic hazards.
2. Communication and reporting
- In cooperation with the Ecuadorian government, the international and local players, the local office of ECHO, he/she will conduct a communications assessment regarding seismic and volcanic activities on a local, French and international level.
- He/she will identify the key players who communicate the hazards and consequences of seismic and volcanic activities.
- He/she will travel to the disaster-stricken areas so as to report on the situation.
- In cooperation with the awareness-raising and education manager in Ecuador (EU Aid Volunteer), he/she will design outreach tools (videos, comics, diagrams, booklets, manuals…) aimed at young audiences, adapted to each age and to each level of the education program and also at community managers.
- He/she will develop pictures, videos, and communications materials for all the stakeholders including the European Union, The European Guild and Ecuasol.
3. Social media
The volunteer will develop the audience of websites and social media of Ecuasol, The European Guild and the EU Aid Volunteers initiative (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) with ambitious but achievable objectives.
He/she will post several times a week, and will increase according to the news.
4. Local communications and fund raising
The volunteer will work on the preparation of local communications and fund raising events with our different partners – IRD (Institut de Recherche et de Développement), Alliance Française, the Condamine school, the French Embassy in Ecuador, private and public funders, the French-Ecuadorian Chamber of Commerce, etc.
He/she will help in mobilizing the international community and more specifically European, and will develop the fundraising work (looking for collective sponsors).
5. International meeting
The volunteer will prepare ahead of time the organization of an international meeting of the logistics directors of humanitarian organizations, which will take place in 2017 in Ecuador, in cooperation with the Humanitarian Logistics Association, a partner of The European Guild in the EU Aid Volunteers initiative. Date and location to be determined. The global organization of this event will be assigned to a volunteer arriving on-site in the summer of 2017.
6. Continuity of the actions
The volunteer will capture valuable information and provide a report to ensure continuity of the actions.
7. Communication and Awareness on EU Aid Volunteers Initiative
The Volunteer shall:
a. Promote local volunteerism in disaster risk reduction, prevention and response;
b. Train local volunteers on organization and implementation of volunteer-based activities, when applicable;
c. Promote partnerships and collaboration between local and European organizations;
d. Draft and publish articles describing volunteer’s experience in the field;
e. Gather audiovisual materials to be used in a public awareness activity in the volunteer’s local community in Europe;
f. In coordination with the NGOs partner of the project, organize and execute a public awareness activity once back in Europe.