Geres main focus in Central Asia:
- Introduction of bioclimatic solutions through passive solar energy and energy efficiency techniques for rural and urban domestic housing and public buildings sectors
- Income generating activities development in agriculture (counter-season greenhouse cultivation, crop selling staggering with small scale storage)
- Innovative technical solution development (heating stove, cooking stove…)
Geres experience in Mongolia:
Since 2010, Geres has supported the vegetables sector in Mongolia, relying on affordable and locally adapted production and preservation technologies. In the past three years Geres implemented further a comprehensive economic development programme focused on organic vegetable production and farm-to-fork approaches encompassing the whole vegetables value chain and its enabling environment in Arkhangai and Khentii provinces. Geres is furthermore implementing the CEMAATERR Programme in 4 countries, with a specific Mongolian component in Arkhangai since 2017 and with aim to raise awareness and provide support to local actors and authorities to harness climate change in the development of their local policies and plans.
In urban set up and related to energy efficiency in the housing sector, Geres has started in 2018 the implementation of the EU SWITCH Asia funded “Switch Off Air Pollution” project to contribute to address pollution & energy efficiency challenges in Ulaanbaatar’s peripheral districts population and decrease related GHG emission and mitigate climate change. The action is implemented in partnership with four national and international NGOs and aims at limiting coal consumption through improving the energy efficiency of 1000 individual houses in the so-called Ger district by mobilising green finance.
By the end of 2019, Geres is expected to start a 3 years project funded by EU Civil Society and Local Authorities budget line: “IMPACT – Improve – Act! En-gendering rural economic development in Mongolia”, in a consortium led by Agronomes et Vétérinaires Sans Frontières NGO (AVSF) and with Mongolian Women’s fund NGO (MONES).
IMPACT has for overall objective to contribute to empower women as agents of development and change in their productive activities and in the policy making process in Mongolia with specific objective to strengthen rural women’s groups role in agricultural (organic vegetable and sustainable cashmere) productive systems and towards their local and national representatives.
The Project will be implemented in the rural provinces of Arkhangai and Khentii, with a strong national advocacy component in Ulaanbaatar.
The Action is designed around 4 complementary outputs:
- Result 1: Women’s groups are empowered in their role in income generating activities, rural cooperatives and household financial management.
- Result 2: High potential agriculture value chains (organic vegetable and sustainable cashmere) are supported for economic empowerment of women’s groups.
- Result 3: Women’s groups are empowered in their dialogue capacities with Local Authorities for mutual support and conducive local policies
- Result 4: To strengthen rural women’s groups role in agricultural productive systems and towards their local and national representatives
Mission and TASKS
Under the hierarchical and managerial supervision of Geres Country Director, the Technical Assistant will be in charge of ensuring timely implementation of field activities related to Organic vegetable production overall and related to Sustainable Fibre (with support of AVSF) in Arkhangai. She/he will support AVSF and MONES in ensuring quality of the agriculture component in Khenti province. She/he will ensure appropriate coordination between the partners field staff.
The scope of work and coordination of the TA will include a national Vegetable Production TA based in Khentii province, a driver based in Arkhangai and a part-time Finance/Admin Assistant based in Ulaanbaatar. TA will be further supported by Mongolia Country Director and Central Asia Director and expert HQ involvement is further expected (Quality, Gender & Energy).
She/he will work in coordination with AVSF and MONES Project staff assigned to action:
- MONES Project Coordinator & gender expert based in Ulaanbaatar.
- AVSF Ulaanbaatar office Country Director and Senior Value Chain Technical staff for backstopping and overall reporting/M&E/donor relation management
- In provinces (Arkhangai and Khentii), with AVSF TA counterpart, MONES 2 gender experts, Field coordinators and officers.
She/he will be based in Arkhangai Province, with frequent trips to Khentii Province and Ulaanbaatar.
Expected tasks for this position:
1/ To provide Agricultural/Rural Development Technical Assistance – Organic vegetables and Sustainable Fibre value chains:
- To coordinate Geres capitalisation study on related solar passive agriculture technologies & organic vegetable production, under the guidance of the Capitalisation Expert. To provide assistance to AVSF in the region to capitalise on sustainable fibre production.
- To contextualize, elaborate & disseminate the methodology & training materials based on the capitalization studies and current practical handbooks developed by Geres and AVSF.
- To train the trainers of vegetable and, with the support of AVSF fibre technical expert, fibre production activities of the project
- To up-scale and disseminate energy-efficient & innovative solutions for vegetable farming activities: implementation and monitoring of demonstration small-scale infrastructures (Geres’s Passive solar greenhouses and bioclimatic cellars), and to support and coordinate a study on up-scaling and dissemination strategy. In coordination with Geres energy expert.
- To provide agronomic technical support and coordinate data collection on the gender sensitive study related to the targeted value chains, led by MONES and in coordination with Geres gender expert.
- To provide support in Arkhangai to AVSF Economic Development TA in the integration of sustainable cashmere producing groups into the existing sales & marketing scheme & National certification system
- To support the selection, implementation (incl. technical assistance) and monitoring of subgrants to selected beneficiaries.
- To coordinate with MONES the integration of gender equality in the activities under her/his responsibility
- To provide agronomic technical input to MONES related to Results 1,3 & 4
- To coordinate with partners on the provincial advocacy related activities. Collaborate with Geres Country Director in the national advocacy components.
2/ To coordinate and manage field teams
- To oversee and manage the completion of tasks/duties of the field staff
- To directly oversee Geres driver in the province
3/ To support Geres National Coordination
- To report narrative and financial Geres project activities, with the support and supervision of Geres Financial and Administration Officer, HQ Finance manager and Geres Country Director, incl. collecting and gathering relevant information for project partners in Arkhangai.
- To coordinate with CEMAATERR’s project manager Geres activities in Arkhangai
- To support CEMAATERR’s project manager in Arkhangai to represent Geres towards local Government, private sector and civil society organizations
- To represent Geres towards local Government, private sector and civil society organizations in Arkhangai province
- To support Country Director in the identification & design of new project proposals
 CEMAATERR: Climate – Energy: Measure of Adaptation and Mitigation on Rural Territories